School History - 1965
- Key People
In 1772, £500 was invested by a variety of benefactors (including Lord Derby, John Stanley and Sir Robert Peel), which went towards constructing a purpose built school building on Clough Street in Bury. Yet again, forty-two years on, the school moved, this time to the three story £1000 purpose built building on Stanley Street. The school was renamed to Central National School at this time. In 1835 the school contained two hundred and eighty children aged between six and thirteen.
In 1836, a second national school opened on the west side of Bury called The Irwell National School. By 1887 though, the Central National School and Irwell National School were closed due to inadequacy of the buildings, and so they combined into a new building in Lower Band Street. Five years after this merge the school became co-educational.
From 1906 to 1921 the school was known as Bury St. Mary’s Parochial Church of England School. Then, in 1921, the school was renamed once again, this time to Church Central School, now with one hundred and twenty-two children aged between eleven and fourteen. This was also the year that French was introduced.
It was as early as 1931 when plans to rebuild the school were made, but due to the Second World War these plans couldn’t come to fruition until the early 1960s. In 1963, Lord Derby laid the foundation stone of the new building and, in September 1964, the new school opened in its current location and from this point onward has been called Bury Church of England High School.
Since then, the school has continued to expand with the construction of F Block in the 1970s, the new sports hall in 2004, followed by the conversion of the old sports hall into the library, new music room, and SEN room.
Above are links to several image galleries, one of old building photographs, one of key figures from the schools past, and many of past pupils ranging from 1953 to 1973.